Saturday, April 23, 2011

Intense Yoga!

I decided to try out some yoga classes near my parents' place this trip, to complement my thrice weekly running workouts. I went to my first one today, and I definitely enjoyed it! I think the novelty factor made it so I didn't get the same type of zen feeling after I completed the class as usual, but I think that will come with further classes. I'll stop focusing so much on what is going around me and focus more inwardly on my body and how it feels. A list of my observations:

- They were super friendly and welcoming, which I appreciated. Not to mention, the first class is free!
- The class was very crowded, which definitely affected the overall vibe - in some ways it was good (lots of good energy in the room), but in some ways it was distracting - making sure to stagger myself with the people next to me so I don't bonk them with my arms while in airplane pose, for example.
- It was intense - I went to a 90 minute "Power" class, and they keep the room heated. I'm not sure it's actually as hot as some "hot yoga" classes, but it was warm and I worked up a good sweat glow. I wish I had thought to bring some water and a towel... next time...
- It was challenging. I had never before seen as much quick motion on mats as I did today - people flying from forward fold straight into plank and down to upward facing dog. Needless to say, there was no flying for me, I kept it at my slightly slower, no jumping into plank sort of pace. The good thing about yoga though is that you're always encouraged to work at your own pace. I didn't feel self-conscious, more surprised by a level of practice I'd never encountered before. I do like being challenged though, and I think it will help me advance more in the types of things I can do in yoga.

So overall, I had a good experience and I look forward to trying more of the classes. I think going during the morning on weekdays will make it a bit less crowded, and if it turns out that "Power" is not so much my thing, there are other styles of classes I'll be going to. I'm just glad it's one little thing to keep me active and centered, get me out of the house, and prevent me from watching too many episodes of Lost in one day... :-)

1 comment:

  1. i agree that I love trying new types of yoga with different instructors because it's fun and uses my body differently, but it's hard to be zen when you are tyring to figure out what's happening :)

    ReplyDelete