First off, regarding fitness, two positive things from the past week or so - I did work out while in Chicago, in the workout room at KT's apartment complex. (KT herself, and for that matter many of my friends, are very healthy people who work out on a regular basis.) Other positive thing - I got back into fitness classes today by attending spin and yoga, and it felt great as always!
So, onto the new challenge I am pondering. While in Chicago, I talked about running quite a bit with KT and Kristen, since they both love it so much. KT doesn't live far from Lake Shore Drive, and it sounds like she has some truly exhilarating and wonderful runs. Kristen always talks about getting runner's high as well. I, on the other hand, define myself as being someone who doesn't run (or also you could say, doesn't LIKE running). Even though hubby constantly sings its praises as one of the very best forms of exercise there is ("All you need is shoes, you can do it anywhere!") and I don't doubt it, I have just never gotten into it, never gotten to like it, and therefore I've been sticking primarily with the things I like enough to continue enthusiastically, which currently include spinning, yoga, other fitness classes, and the elliptical when I just want a regular old cardio machine.
This is turning out long-winded, but just bear with me. When we were talking about running one night, AN brought up a program called "Couch to 5K" (aka C25K) that is designed for non-runners to get them running in a 9-week period. I'd also seen reference to it by Jenna at That Wife, though I never investigated enough to really learn about it. As you have probably guessed by now, I think I may take a stab at this thing. I feel great about where I am, but one of the greatest things about fitness is continuing to push oneself to a new goal, something they didn't think they could do. The brutal truth is that I am not even confident in my ability to run one mile right now, and of course that is something that makes me feel like I can't truly declare myself to be "in shape." A lot of my milspouse friends also love to do 5K's and things like that, but on the occasions I am invited I have declined (and would anticipate doing so in the future at my current fitness level).
So, here is this program staring me in the face. Hubby will be gone at least one more month, so I have some time and mental energy to devote, and I am continuing in my weight loss efforts as well, so this would all be mutually supportive of various goals. The program involves three workouts per week of about 30 minutes or so, if I have understood correctly. My hope is that I can continue the majority of my current regimen (spin 1-2 times per week, with another fitness class thrown in, and yoga on a pretty regular basis). I am trying not to underestimate that I could run into walls at moments, but more than anything it's kind of cool to think that I could work myself up to being able to actually run a 5K and feel a bit more like someone who can run, even if it still isn't my favorite thing.
I guess more traditionally C25K is a smart phone app, however I am not fancy enough to have a smart phone yet. However, I found a link that breaks the programs down the way you'd do them on a treadmill, so my plan is to use that approach. I have access to a treadmill both here at the apt complex and at the gym, so that seems promising for sure. I am planning to do the "Week 1 Day 1" workout this Saturday, so I'll update here. I am hoping that I can keep some accountability and make it harder to give up if I keep posting about it!
Some links if you want more info:
http://www.c25k.com/
Treadmill version is here
How about you all? Anyone tried C25K? Anyone tackling any new fitness challenges these days? It bears repeating here that I LOVE comments, so don't be shy. :-)
Go, Kate! As you know, I sympathize about not enjoying running but still feeling like I should. Keep me posted on how the C25k program works out for you. I'm planning on doing that this summer, with the goal of doing a 5k race in August before I head back to school.
ReplyDeleteIt's so great that both of you are doing this! The gradual increases in running each week make it seem very manageable. I'll be interested to see how it works out for you-keep us posted!!!
ReplyDelete