Sunday, June 1, 2014

Farmer's Market Fun

Getting food from a farmer's market always sounds like a good idea, at least in theory. Now that I have the time and mental space, I am actually turning that sentiment into action for the first time in a while. We have a nice little farmer's market here in our town, and I headed over this past Thursday. I got some zucchini, shallots, and eggs. 


And here are a couple things I've made -


Above, a yummy and healthy breakfast made with eggs, shallots, zucchini, and shredded cheddar in a scramble and some toast with coconut oil.



A roasted zucchini and ricotta sandwich. The recipe is from Annie's Eats and was posted recently, so I had this in mind when I headed to the market! I've eaten this sandwich twice so far and have supplies ready to have it twice more. :-) 

I definitely get a lot of pleasure out of knowing all this food was produced so close by, and that it's good for me. It is unrealistic for me (for a variety of reasons) to go 100% local, unprocessed, organic, vegetarian, or whatever else, but I figure doing some amount of all of those is good for me and hopefully the environment etc. too. 

And as a final word, just a note that I somewhat regret that my photos (all taken on my phone) will never be that amazing. Oftentimes, if a recipe is linked, like the sandwich above, you can see the food more artfully photographed at the original source. There are plenty of blogs out there with awesome photography, and this will not be one of them, at least until I find I want to invest resources in a better camera and some better skills! Never say never, but that time is not now.  

No comments:

Post a Comment