Sunday, August 8, 2010

Domesticity

We're having some friends over for dinner/general hanging out tonight, which is a terrific motivator to de-clutter the main living areas in our apartment, and clean the bathrooms and all that. I think it's definitely a good idea to have company over decently frequently!

I also just uploaded some photos onto my computer, a task which reminded me to share some of my culinary adventures as of late. In no particular order, here are some reports (many with photos!). And in case it isn't obvious, each title of a recipe is linked to the recipe!

 Pappa al Pomodoro, by Rachael Ray

This dish is a sentimental favorite for me, because I ate it multiple times while abroad in Florence my junior year. (It's one dish that I think of as "real" Italian food because I had it over there.) It was hearty without being heavy, and we both enjoyed it even though it's summer (the AC probably helps). The bread didn't break down as much as it always did in the versions I ate in Italy, but the dish was still very tasty and easy!


Pasta with Pancetta and Leeks, by Ree Drummond (aka Pioneer Woman)

This was very tasty. I love pasta though, so I'm not hard to please when it comes to almost any pasta recipe. I don't cook with leeks very often, so that was something fun and new, and I also don't eat bacon very much so that was an extra special treat (but there wasn't too much of it). I did end up using bacon instead of pancetta because I couldn't manage to find pancetta at the store.

Friday night, I made Tuna, Avocado and Romaine Salad by Martha Stewart. I left out the radishes in the recipe, because I couldn't find any at the store, and I wasn't particularly motivated (I had a feeling it would be tasty even without them). Sure enough, it was very tasty. I don't always think of salads as particularly filling on their own, but we both really liked this one. I was already going to be partial due to the avocado, but the dressing added flavor, as did the tuna. It was a nice healthy (mostly) dinner! 

I didn't finish this post yesterday (Saturday, when I started it) so now we've had our friends over, and it was very nice. Dave made two pizzas, and I made bruschetta as an appetizer. And we did indeed get the apartment at least partially straightened up, which is nice to enjoy now!

That's about all here. I am trying harder and harder to find a job, we'll see how it goes. (I try not to set myself up for the inevitable disappointment of the inevitable rejections that the job search brings.) Dave's schedule is going to be ramping up soon and I know that in order to not go crazy when he's rarely around, I need some structure in my life, and I know a job would be good in other ways too. In the meantime I'll just keep trying!


No comments:

Post a Comment