Monday, August 2, 2010

Many Updates!

I feel like there is so much to write about - but I will keep it relatively short and sweet. This past weekend I flew back to my (and my husband's) home state to go to the wedding of two of our high school friends - they started dating junior year, less than a year after we started dating! Dave didn't come because his work schedule is so unpredictable, so sadly it just didn't make sense. Anyway, the weather was gorgeous, and our friends had an outdoor ceremony at a golf course, with the reception at the clubhouse right near by. I got to hang out with two of our other high school friends, and meet the new girlfriend of one of them as well. There were a few other Army couples there so I got my fair share of talk about all that stuff in. It was a good time and I'm so glad I got to be there, but I couldn't help but think it would have been even more fun if Dave had been there to dance with me, eat dinner with, etc. Ah well. Someday we'll get to a wedding together (other than our own of course!). After long distance all through college, it was crazy how much I missed him on just a two day trip - but we're newlyweds and we've been spoiled lately. I also noticed that I've already developed home-type feelings toward this place - having gotten to know the area slightly, having built up our physical home (apartment) here, the fact that Dave's work and some of our friends are here... it was just interesting to me to feel how much I was excited to come back here, to our place, to my husband, even though I was in the state where I spent the first 18 years of my life (and got to see my parents and parents-in-law, which was good). I think it's a good thing though - and a good sign for dealing with this lifestyle. Hopefully no matter where we are, we can figure out how to feel at home!

I have the best husband - he had told me before I left he'd make dinner Sunday night (when I got back) and sure enough, I was greeted by the sounds of beef curry bubbling on the stove! While I was gone he also put together a new bookshelf he bought for us and got going on a few other little home improvement projects.

I also finished off two books during my travels - one marriage book (which made me think of goals to become a better wife and together goals to build up our marriage skills) and also In Defense of Food by Michael Pollan, which of course had me running to get my hands on all the farm fresh produce I could, haha. Though it might be hard to fully implement ALL the changes Pollan advocates (and in part because maybe we don't need to base our life on ONE book) - it did have me inspired to plant some fresh herbs in a pot on our screened porch. I use herbs a lot, so it's actually a money saving thing as well, assuming I'm successful! I picked some things up today, namely the pot, a drainage tray, a watering can, soil, and some plants (thyme, basil, and oregano!). I'm hoping to add more later, maybe even using some seeds (they didn't really have any seeds when I looked today). I'll keep you blog readers updated about how it goes!

I was back to making dinner tonight (I really love it as I've said, but it was wonderful that hubby made it last night since I was so worn down). I made some Pioneer Woman recipes for the first time, despite how long I've been admiring her recipes (and writing!). What did I make? Well it's your lucky day, I'll tell you - Roasted Garlic & New Potatoes and Ginger Steak Salad. It was easy to make them together - I got the potatoes and garlic going early on and then they just had to cook for a while, and the steak salad just had some easy steps! I do love ginger, and I enjoyed the moderate amount of tasty steak on top of a nice leafy salad with tangy, slightly spicy dressing. It tasted pretty fresh too! And as a bonus, I think Dave enjoyed the food as well.

For fun, some photos:

Yummy dinner!

Our friends - JUST married!

Me with high school friends

3 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed Pollan's The Omnivore's Dilemma. In Defense of Food is on my to-read list as well! Whenever I hear that someone has read either of those books though, I strongly advise reading something from the perspective of the "other side." Google "The Omnivore's Delusion" and read the essay written by an agriculturalist. It's eye-opening in its own way. although it doesn't really touch on the arguments/questions that I have with The Omnivore's Dilemma.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah - that seems like wise counsel. My husband is starting to read it now and he's just inherently more critical of things than I am, so through our conversations we do some interrogating of the arguments. Thanks for pointing me toward the essay!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh gosh, dinner looks good!!

    And I agree. Some of those food books make you want to totally revamp your life, but I love your line about how you shouldn't base your entire life on one book. Always read from the other side. Whether you are willing to admit it or not, there is always going to be bias based on commerce, personal preference, etc. That's why it is so passionate! Ha!

    ReplyDelete