Sunday, May 1, 2011

April Books

It's that time again, for the monthly book round-up. Lately, it seems that almost each book I read is being turned into a movie. Sometimes I know this in advance, and other times it's a coincidence. Weird!

1. Black Heels to Tractor Wheels - A Love Story by Ree Drummond


I'm glad I took the chance to read this one. I'd started to read PW's posts about her real-life romance, but never really got that far. It was great to have them in book form so I could read the story in one long narrative. This is great for anyone who is a romantic, especially if you're already a PW fan. Her story-telling is good as ever and in my case it made me think of my own love story very fondly (even if all in all it was never as dramatic!). This was a pretty quick read and I'm glad I got it in!

2. I Love a Man in Uniform: A Memoir of Love, War, and Other Battles by Lily Burana


I highly recommend this to milspouses anywhere and everywhere, or anyone who just wants to know more about what it's like. The author is witty and made me laugh out loud more than once. She is not the stereotypical milspouse, but then again, how many of us would describe ourselves as totally fitting the stereotype? Burana mixes a frank assessment of the parts of the lifestyle she could do without at times, and doesn't gloss over some of her difficulties, but at the end of the day she shares her pride for her husband's occupation and the community she became a part of when she married him. I know this tension is present for me, and though we are not the same or have all the same opinions, I identified with so many of her statements. It was a great milspouse read that was real and gritty - I really enjoyed this!

3. The Help by Kathryn Stockett



This book is very popular right now, and that's a major part of why I read it. Apparently it's also becoming a movie, which I wasn't aware of, but I'm not surprised. It's a fictional treatment of race relations in 1960s Mississippi, and even though it's long, it had me very absorbed and entertained. I liked it a lot and I will definitely want to see the movie!

4. Something Borrowed by Emily Giffin


I went ahead and read another Giffin book, and I'd say I liked this one a lot more than Baby Proof. I didn't know until I was partway through that it will also be a movie, but again, I wasn't surprised, because it reads like a classic chick flick! My only problem was that partway through my visions of the characters changed so that suddenly Rachel looked like Ginnifer Goodwin and Darcy looked like Kate Hudson, so it was kind of weird to have them morph in my head like that...

Right now I am working on Jane Eyre, which I started when I was younger and never finished (or at least I don't remember finishing it). I'm reading it because... it's now a movie! I know, you're so shocked. I'm sure it will be featured in May Books - hopefully I'll finish it soon!

And now, my usual prompt - what are you reading? Any recommendations? Did you read any of these books in my post and have a different opinion from me? The same or only slightly different? Have you seen any of the movies of these books, or are you pumped for any particular book-movies to come out?

3 comments:

  1. Let's see...lately, I've pretty much been exclusively reading a couple of books called "The Federal Rules of Civil Procedure" and "Examples and Explanations of Civil Procedure." Can't exactly say I recommend them, but I'm sure you will develop a love/hate relationship with them next year, as well!

    I think I may have to add your April selections to my summer reading list. And I definitely want to see the Something Borrowed movie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lily B came to Drum to do one of her dance classes :) I was unable to go but the ladies that went had a load of fun!

    Also, look up a preview for the help on youtube. Parts of it look absolutely hilarious! I can't wait!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Allie - I was thinking today about how these lists will stop around ohh... you know, September. Unless of course my blog readers want to hear about the fascinating ins and outs of my class reading. :-)

    H - Cool! It def sounded like fun when she described it. I actually watched a trailer for The Help after I put this post up! I'm glad I didn't see it til after I read the book - but it looks good and I look forward to seeing it!

    ReplyDelete