Tuesday, May 31, 2011

May Books

[My little preface: It's been long time, no post - I've just felt a bit uninspired and also just sort of holding my breath for the end of the week, when hubby's next news from training will make its way to my ears. In the meantime though, it's almost June which means it's time to report on my reading adventures from May!]

1. One Day by David Nicholls


This book also is being made into a movie. (Are you surprised?) It's an interestingly formatted romance that visits Emma and Dexter on the same day each year for about 15 years or so. It started off a bit slow but I got engrossed soon enough, and attached to the characters, and interested in the twists and turns of their lives and relationship. I'm not sure how I feel about the ending, but that would also be spoiler-y to discuss at great length, so I'll leave it at that. :-)

2. Bossypants by Tina Fey


This book was just released and I was curious to indulge in it. I definitely found it funny and intriguing. I definitely enjoyed a lot of the "behind the scenes" SNL and 30 Rock type stuff (though I haven't ever really watched the latter), especially Tina's take on how the Sarah Palin skits came into being. I also enjoyed reading about how she got to where she is today. It was a quick and fun read for sure.

3. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte


I was so happy that I finally finished this book! I had it on my Kindle and I'd been working on it since April, and I finally finished it on the beach last weekend. It won't exactly take my opinion to tip the scales that this is a wonderful read, but for the record I'm glad I stuck through the more old-fashioned (and lengthy) style to follow the story to its fruition. Plus, now I can watch the movie on DVD when it comes out. Priorities, people.

This is one of the lightest months I've had as far as reading is concerned - in part because Jane Eyre took so long and also because I currently have two books going, one of which I'm almost finished reading. For the record, my M.O. lately has been to have one library book and one Kindle book going simultaneously. This is to save money and continue to benefit from the library, while getting things on the Kindle that they don't have. I take the Kindle out of the apartment with me and read it most frequently at volunteering, and I keep each library book in the apartment and read it here (often before I go to sleep). Some of my reading time is also devoted to reading the paper on the Kindle each day, and a lot of my leisure time is going toward Lost on Netflix other types of media.

I find myself definitely prioritizing my "to read" list these days. I know that there is precious time before I am reading cases all the time like a madwoman. I look forward to this phase in my life, but I will miss the freedom to read for pleasure as voraciously as I have been this past year. At least I've largely been taking advantage of that opportunity while it's here!

As always, let's have it - what have you been reading? Is there anything I should add to my high priority list before I start school in August?

No comments:

Post a Comment