Cooking. Going out to eat. Watching Food Network. Reading food blogs online. Looking at pictures of food. You name it, I love it. And of course, I should qualify this by saying I am as much of a foodie as I can afford to be. Haute cuisine is a side of the foodie world that I live only vicariously at this point in my life, punctuated by the occasional trip to a really nice restaurant courtesy of parents or other relatives. And don't get me wrong, I do think that delicious food exists on a budget as well - I love those types of finds!
Not to mention the fact that next year and for at least the first few years of our marriage, FH will insist on going out to eat as little as possible - and I agree with him, for the sake of our wallets and our waistlines. So I will have to focus on the cooking at home aspect of being a foodie, but that's okay with me!
One of my very favorite things about this, my senior year of college, is that since I don't live with my good friend Ann, we instituted Wednesday Night Dinner at the beginning of last semester. Before too long, Kristin had joined in and a beautiful tradition was born. Depending on the week, I cook, or Kristin and I cook, or Ann and I cook, or Ann cooks for all of us. It's so wonderful to spend social time with these two (both of whom I have known since freshman year) and get to try out new delicious recipes. We really impress ourselves a lot of the time and just sit there talking about how good the food is!
Last night, we made this:
Chicken Scaloppine with Arugula, Lemon, and Parmesan
See the recipe here
The ease + taste factor was really impressive for this recipe. Simple, clean ingredients, and the most difficult technique was pounding the chicken to make it thinner. Everything else amounted to cooking the chicken in a pan, seasoning it, dressing the arugula with oil and lemon juice, and plating everything up. Ann made some pasta to go alongside the chicken, we dressed that with oil and lemon too, it was really just a lovely blend of everything together. As if that wasn't enough, Ann brought over a bottle of Chardonnay and we had that too!
I feel like this is not the last of my foodie posts on this blog - I love the idea of sharing my food experiences in the process of trying to learn more about cooking and food in general!

No comments:
Post a Comment