Monday, October 18, 2010

Adventures in Baby-Sitting

A week or two ago I posted about my excitement about a new baby-sitting job, then about my disappointment when that ended before it even started. I waited to post about my next opportunity for fear of the same thing happening. While I don't know if it will definitely turn into a long term thing, I did watch the kids for this second family this afternoon, and so far things are going fine!

One thing that helps is that this family is also military - the fact that I'm leaving next year doesn't really phase them at all. The boys are 3 years old (M) and one year old (J) and they are both very cute. M has brown hair and brown eyes and J is blue-eyed with blonde hair! This afternoon while I was watching them was definitely a change of pace - from volunteering, errands, and all that, to having two toddlers pile blankets and pillows on you and then climb all over you, and so on and so forth, is a change, but a welcome one for me!

I also cracked up while the boys were eating yogurt - M is pretty coordinated and managed to get most of it in his mouth, but J's motor skills are obviously not as advanced. He insists on feeding himself, and this situation leads to him dribbling yogurt all over his mouth, face, and clothing, not to mention the floor and table. Every time some yogurt got on the floor, he'd go "uh oh" and wait for me to clean it up.

I was really happy with how the boys warmed up to me today, and their mom seems happy with the situation so far as well. I'm hoping it continues to work out! I have to say though, leaving I was reminded just how much I am not ready for that part of my life, at least ideally. I have some pregnant friends here, and it's so exciting and everything, but sometimes being so close to the reality just tells me *how* not ready I am... hoping things go more or less according to plan and that I've got a few selfish years ahead of me, because a few afternoons a week with M and J is plenty of kid time for me right now!

2 comments:

  1. Hopefully this time it works out!
    And nothing wrong with being selfish! J & I have been selfish for over 5 years now! lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh gosh, I'm so with you....after 10 hours with Xavier, all I want to do is crawl into bed. So glad it's not a 24 hour job.

    ReplyDelete