Saturday, October 1, 2011

Radishes on Bread with Herbed Butter

One of the vegetables I got in my CSA box last week was radishes - which puzzled me a bit. (Also, upon further examination, I think I may have also been eating some turnips that I thought were radishes - one bunch was white, which may have been turnips, and the other was red.) I didn't know if I liked radishes, or how I should eat them, but nonetheless, there they were.

My solution to this was to hop on Food Network and see what I could find. I settled on Radishes with Butter and Salt by the Barefoot Contessa, which looked simple and had really great reviews. As a bonus, the recipe called for me to add herbs to the butter, and I definitely had some herbs to use up. I tried the recipe the other night, and it more delicious than I'd hoped. It's one of those cases where the sum of the whole is greater than its parts. I tried some raw radish/turnip by itself, and it wasn't awful, but it wasn't super yummy either. When sliced and then paired with some toasted bread and herbed butter, it was really really delicious. I paired it with a salad of greens from the turnips (that I thought were radishes at the time) and had what felt like a light, yummy, relatively healthy dinner. It made me happy, and I will be excited in the future whenever I get radishes! This was definitely a CSA success.

Salad along with toasted bread topped with herbed butter and turnip slices. I also had some bread and butter with the red radish slices after I had this first portion.

While I'm sharing food pictures, there's this one too - I went to lunch with a friend yesterday and got this "sandwich" which was actually a bunch of bread slices topped with brie, walnuts, and apricot preserves - yum! I will definitely be looking to go back to this cafe.


That's the latest on my culinary adventures - both at home and around town!

1 comment:

  1. Ahh, that's what I picked out from the menu to have when I come to visit! What a coincidence. :)

    ReplyDelete