If my memory serves me correctly, we traveled to Venice on Christmas Eve - though it's possible it was the day before. Regardless, what I do remember is that we went to a lovely dinner that night. The city was relatively empty - and chilly, but it was festive and romantic nonetheless, because we were together. I think I may have had some type of balsamic pasta with scallops - weird to remember that, but I guess it's just an association with a memorable night! Also, let's be honest, I am a bit food-centric.
I don't remember hubby seeming particularly nervous that night, but maybe I was missing something. I did have a feeling he'd propose over the two week time frame (we'd already made those life decisions a few months prior, but never talked about actually getting engaged, or a ring specifically). I guess I wasn't really trying to second guess everything, trying to just let it happen - I also didn't want to have my hopes set on it, just in case he had different plans!
Anyway, to get back to what did actually happen. On our walk home, as we were about to cross the Grand Canal on the Galleria d'Accademia bridge, hubby pulled me over to a railing overlooking the water. As we looked out at the dark canal, I remember him saying a few things about the future and all of that stuff, but honestly I don't remember his exact words, because I just kept thinking, "Oh man, is this it? Is it happening now? Really?" And sure enough, before I knew it, he was down on one knee, holding the ring out to me and asking me to marry him - just the ring, not the ring in the box. I think he didn't want the box in his pocket - too obvious or something.
I could swear to you that I said "yes" - I know I thought it, but apparently I did the silly "Is this really happening?" thing repeatedly. Sigh. Can you really blame me? Something like that takes time to sink in. The ring was too big, but I thoroughly enjoyed looking at it and oohing and ahhing regardless. I should also be sure to point out here that hubby had very sneakily attempted to use a mutual friend to find out my ring size, but I had no idea what my ring size was, so the ring being too big was MY FAULT, NOT HIS! There, that should do him the justice he deserves. :-)
Anyway, we got back to the hotel, made a couple of expensive calls to our parents, and went to sleep a newly engaged happy couple, but not before I insisted we take a picture, one that I treasure to this day!
This is "the spot" - or close to it at least. I went back with my grandparents in May, and as it turns out, there are outdoor tables there in warmer months, so we ate lunch there. :-)
I think the best word for us and how we felt is "glowy"
A picture of my gorgeous ring after I'd discovered the power of the macro setting on my camera!
It's been three years since that night - I can't decide if it seems like it's been longer or shorter, but it doesn't really matter. It was a special, wonderful time, and a great story to be able to tell. I'll always treasure it, but I also treasure the thought of many many Christmases that I hope we'll spend together in the future. This was the year that officially started it all though, and it was a very special year. We've had two Christmases go by since this one, one engaged and one married, and now we're in different parts of the world. The constant though, is that I love him as much as ever, if not more, and I'm so blessed to have him in my life. I love you hubby and I hope that thinking about the night we got engaged puts a smile on your face the same way it does mine! For everyone else, thanks for reading and indulging in a walk down memory lane.



No comments:
Post a Comment