Thursday, September 2, 2010

The (Sad) State of American Food Culture

Since I'm keeping extra good track of what I eat these days, things like portion control, fiber, not too much fat, eating fresh food, it's all on my mind (which it normally is, but just much more so now). Today I was driving back from the gym and heard a radio commercial by some fast food place about getting a second chicken sandwich for free and "double fisting" chicken sandwiches. In my head I was yelling at the radio like "This is what's wrong with our food culture! Acting like it's totally better to just eat MORE, when really I bet one chicken sandwich would be PLENTY." That was added to the Today Show segment about restaurant portion sizes this morning, which probably added to my mindset. Seriously though, seeing a 20-oz Outback steak next to a 4-oz normal portion is pretty astonishing. It's just interesting to me that it takes extra work to train oneself that what they often put in front of you at restaurants is a lot more than a typical portion size, which is important for estimating how much is a good amount to eat. I love going out to eat when I can, but it really is much easier to control portions when cooking for myself.

I guess it's just how things are, but I just had a moment thinking about how warped it can get, with the radio rattling on about having two chicken sandwiches for the price of one. Seriously people, just eat one chicken sandwich. Then add some vegetables. I bet 20 minutes later, you'll feel great, and NOT overstuffed! I am not the best eater ever and I love my carbs (often refined, eek), but at the same time commercials like that make me want to give myself a pat on the back for my eating habits.

*Steps off portion control soapbox.*

Hope the weekend is great for everyone! I'll be checking in after my weekend getaway with the hubby, which amazingly enough starts tomorrow!

1 comment: