Well, now that I've completed my third day of volunteering (I started last week), I feel qualified to blog about it. :-)
As it says over in my little bio, I'm a future law student. In the absence of paying jobs materializing for me (despite my repeated and plentiful efforts), and due to the same suggestion from numerous sources, I got in touch with our legal assistance office here to ask about volunteering. After a few weeks where they had my paperwork and resume and we exchanged some phone calls, I started last week. Basically I do two different types of days - one at a site processing people going overseas, and the other at the main office, helping people who come to the front office, getting them to their appointments with attorneys or helping them with routine matters, or if they have a more complicated issue, trying my best to hand them off to someone more qualified! So far I really like it, I think I am certainly helping more than getting in the way the more I learn, and I think I am meshing with the people I work with better each time I go in - and the more they get used to me.
I'm definitely pleased with this development in my weekly routine. It feels good to do something quasi-professional, even though I am obviously not getting paid. It also doesn't escape me that sometime volunteering leads to paid work, though I am not holding my breath for that. Even if I only work for them for free, it benefits me with the experience on my resume and the new contacts in the field. Meanwhile, I am still looking for something paid, but at this point my preferred option is something part-time so that I can continue to volunteer. Even though this might not be the work solution I originally envisioned, I'm proud of myself for taking some initiative and doing something that is definitely good for me and my professional development!
The one downside to my volunteering time is that it makes me less flexible for social time during the week, including my beloved spin class on Tuesdays - I may start working on a routine basis on Tuesdays, because the nature of the work they do that day makes it so I'm extra useful and I have more to do. Luckily I've managed to form friendships where I am no longer anxious if I have to turn down an invite because I'm busy - I know that people understand I've got this thing I'm doing, and I'll do my best to make it another time I am free. On a sidenote, is it just me or is there a period when you are meeting people when you really really hate to turn down invitations, because you always think you are missing a bonding opportunity? Luckily, during what I perceived to be that period of time with a lot of people I've met, my time was more flexible and it was easier.
And in related news, I am definitely feeling more comfort socially all the time. To have an honest moment, starting to meet people at an increased rate (particularly in August) was great, but I had some moments of social anxiety for sure. Just that, gah so many new people, will I really hit it off with anyone, do they really even like me kind of stuff. I'm settling into a bunch of new relationships and I'm really feeling more at ease now! I knew it would be okay, as I remembered new student orientation at college, compared with the amazing friendships I developed through my senior year, but still, it can be nervewracking for me! Luckily, military wives are super easy to make friends with, because everyone is moving around and used to meeting people and making fast friends!
Tonight is devoted to Glee and trying out that other dessert I mentioned in my cupcake post. Life is good for sure!
I felt compelled to comment on this entry because I know exactly what you're feeling with regard to the social anxiety. I still get anxious nowadays when I have to turn down an invitation to hang out with law school friends, because I feel as though they're all going to grow closer without me. Sometimes this gets in the way of work so it's still a bit frustrating, but I'm definitely starting to come into that time when I know they'll still remember to invite me to things (case in point, just got a message inviting me to an Everwood marathon Friday! Which I unfortunately have to turn down because I'll be travelling). I think living alone really drives the point home for me that it's important to embrace those opportunities, but for your part it sounds like you're doing a great job! And hey, at the volunteering place, you'll probably make even more new friends :)
ReplyDeleteI think everyone goes through that feeling of "oh my goodness, am I missing out?" I have definitely experienced it and am feeling settled here finally as well. Having gotten to know you, I think you have the right attitude about things and have made an effort to get involved. That alone is the basis for success in the military family. I think the girls who get themselves in trouble are the ones who spend their days thinking the friends, opportunities and fun will all come to them. Ohh no! You definitely have to seek it out for awhile, and then you'll settle in! :)
ReplyDeleteI'm glad your social circles are getting better established! you're definitely a few steps ahead of me on the friend-making scene, but like you I'm trying to put myself out there and meet new people! haha
ReplyDeleteAhhh so excited for you to be getting some experience! This is going to be fabulous for your resume and interviews :)
ReplyDeleteAnd yes, I so understand the stress and panicky feeling when you are starting to get your feet wet in a new social group. How awesome that you are past that and feeling comfortable.