I guess it just goes to show that it can be handy to know how to use one's resources! And also that Kindles are awesome for reasons other than reading. (No, I don't have a smart phone yet, I'm lagging behind everyone else.) I guess at the end of the day it's sort of a pointless story, but I was happy with how the little saga turned out, and I had to use something as an outlet, hence, this post! Thank you for your cooperation. :-)
Wednesday, June 15, 2011
How I Fixed the Interwebs (Or, Why I Am Awesome and so is my Kindle...)
I'm so relieved right now. You see, I'm what you could call addicted to a fan of the internet. Earlier this evening I was watching Lost doing something intellectually important when suddenly the internet stopped connecting to websites. It appeared to be connected, but it wasn't actually working. I unplugged and replugged the router, which usually works, but no dice. This time was different and that got me worrying. After a long loop of restarting, unplugging, clicking, connecting, disconnecting, I eventually managed some troubleshooting that told me that the DNS server wasn't responding. So, great... now what? I texted my dad as one avenue (yay tech help in a parent), and then opened the somewhat clunky but functional browser on my Kindle. I then googled the DNS server thing, tried one "fix" I found in a discussion, which didn't work, and then tried another. I can't even explain it well, but I had to disable another random wireless connection that was showing up on the computer. Once I did that, it worked! The clouds parted and the angels sang. Or maybe I just imagined that. But I felt a huge sense of relief, and then a sense of pleasant shock and pride. I fixed the internet, and I don't even understand the internet!
I guess it just goes to show that it can be handy to know how to use one's resources! And also that Kindles are awesome for reasons other than reading. (No, I don't have a smart phone yet, I'm lagging behind everyone else.) I guess at the end of the day it's sort of a pointless story, but I was happy with how the little saga turned out, and I had to use something as an outlet, hence, this post! Thank you for your cooperation. :-)
I guess it just goes to show that it can be handy to know how to use one's resources! And also that Kindles are awesome for reasons other than reading. (No, I don't have a smart phone yet, I'm lagging behind everyone else.) I guess at the end of the day it's sort of a pointless story, but I was happy with how the little saga turned out, and I had to use something as an outlet, hence, this post! Thank you for your cooperation. :-)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I think the crossed-out parts are my favorite part of this post hahaha!!!!! Your love for the interwebs makes me laugh! But good for you for fixing it! If you're looking for something else "intellectually stimulating", I'm currently obsessed with Mad Men.
ReplyDeleteyay enV3! down with smart phones! haha
ReplyDeleteIt's kinda embarrassing, but I absolutely LOVE my Kindle's horrible primitive browser. It doesn't even work on sites with pop ups, but I so love what it does do. And that I don't have to pay a monthly fee for it. Yay, Kindle! And I am very proud of you for being so resourceful. I'm sure losing the internet was strong motivation :D
ReplyDelete