Today was the type of day full of small joys that keep me sane and reasonably happy amidst the emotional difficulty and uncertainty of hubby's training and separation from him. Just a few things included:
1. Running for the first time in too long, at least sort of. I have been taking a bit of an unplanned hiatus due to trips and not feeling too great last week, and each day that goes by makes me more worried that I'm going to lose what I gained doing C25K. I ventured back on the treadmill today, and while it was far from a great run, I got my body moving and my heart pumping and it's a good way to start back up and build confidence again. In other news, I am going to try to buy some appropriately-sized and stylish running shorts tomorrow - the capri style pants and leggings are too hot (even inside the gym!).
2. Yoga for the first time in a while. Again, sort of an unplanned hiatus in part due to being out of town. Went to a class after jogging on the treadmill, and it gave me that great combination of mind-body zen and some good stretching. I may also try a class at a studio in town tomorrow afternoon.
3. Haircut! I got my hair refreshed back to the cute short length that I've had it at for the past few months (so it amounted to maybe a couple of inches but it feels much better!). I love the bouncy, peppy feeling I get with a fresh haircut.
4. I visited the health food store in town and bought wild salmon, plus some lime chips that are minimally processed. Even better, I paid for it with a gift card I received from the family I used to baby-sit for (before they moved).
5. I used said salmon to make Grilled Salmon with Citrus Salsa Verde by Giada, and it was tasty! It had a ton of flavor, a nice amount of nutrition, and I felt all around good eating it. I get to have it again tomorrow night as well, but this time I just have to grill the second piece of fish and then top it with the salsa I already made.
6. I finished an interesting book - The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot, a work of nonfiction about the woman whose cells ended up changing medical research as of 1951 when a sample of her cancerous tumor started reproducing without end. A more thorough review will come at the end of the month, but I sure do love the feeling of getting lost in a fascinating book and reading it faster than I thought I would! I do also enjoy having the luxury to be able to spend time reading when I feel like it.
7. I was pleasantly surprised and happy to get a letter from hubby! I am so starved to hear from him these days that seeing his handwriting and hearing things he's thinking and doing is always so nice. I am grateful each and every time I get a letter because I know how busy he is right now.
Admittedly, more than ever before, I am blatantly passing time away at this point. Not a great way to live life, but I am anxious for hubby to come back, anxious to get ready to move, and also trying to prepare for the transition time with chores and to dos. Mentally though, I am ready, more for my reunion with hubby than going to school, but it will all come in due time! In the meantime I am trying to give myself the little pleasures in life to at least pass the time pleasantly. Tomorrow will involve the morning volunteering, frozen yogurt with friends, and yoga, so hopefully it will be pleasant as well!
Sounds like a wonderful, nurturing day. Yay! Now I have to follow your good example and go for a jog, after more days off than I had planned...
ReplyDeleteHi Kate! I found you through d.a.r. and I feel like we're living the same life with a few twists--military spouse for you, boyfriend for me (both West Point grads), starting law school in the fall, and spending the summer essentially waiting around for school and moving and getting to be with the army boys rather than talking about being with them. I just wanted to say hi and thanks--I love your blog!!
ReplyDelete