Monday, November 22, 2010

A Tale of Two Turkeys

In addition to the "Thankful" series I am working on this week, I wanted to also share this random little story to give you a glimpse into the adventure of our first married Thanksgiving. That, and I came up with this title and HAD to use it on a post!

So, being someone who plans ahead and had never procured a Thanksgiving turkey before, I felt the need to get my hands on a turkey during my last trip to the store (a week ago today). I got a frozen one that was between 8 and 9 pounds. Hubby had invited some other friends over to our place but I doubted that very many of them would be able to make it, if any. I wanted to be conservative and not go overboard. I congratulated myself for being prepared and all of that good stuff.

Well, last night hubby revealed that a) he was afraid we wouldn't have enough turkey, or just barely enough for the 5 people we anticipate at our Thanksgiving (including ourselves) and b) he had run the situation by his mom (whose opinion I will always trust on food and entertaining) and indeed, she felt like at 9 pounds, we might have enough but not enough for leftovers, or possibly not enough if someone wanted to binge on turkey. Being the food-lovers we are, hubby and I could not stand the thought of no leftover turkey, or (heaven forbid) not enough turkey for everyone to pig out to their heart's content. So, with a bit of persuasion (not that much) from hubby, I went ahead and purchased another turkey today - this second bird weighing in at 13 pounds. Which is how we have arrived at the current situation - the original turkey still in the freezer, and the newer one beginning its thawing process in the refrigerator. Hubby had a good idea though - what if, when one of our buddies who will be training straight through Thanksgiving gets his break during December, we use the smaller turkey to recreate a Thanksgiving feast for him? This idea has a lot of potential, especially because Thanksgiving is basically hubby's favorite meal ever, and I don't hate it either. ;-)

So there you have it, the story of how we ended up with two turkeys in our apartment at the current moment. If this ends up as our worst Thanksgiving snafu, I will not complain at all!

1 comment:

  1. At least you have a plan for the extra turkey. That seems like a very thoughtful thing to do for someone who would not celebrate thanksgiving otherwise.

    ReplyDelete