Hubby's parents have been wonderful to me since I became his girlfriend when we were in high school, and I have a great relationship with his brother too. The fact that there was so little family drama related to the wedding also was such a blessing - and now that we have had to figure out how to split up our Christmas vacation back home between the two families, we appreciate their understanding there too. We might even have a Christmas dinner that includes everyone - my parents, his parents and bro, and his extended family who will be around. I know that not every married couple is blessed with such family harmony, so I definitely try to be mindful of my good fortune.
In addition to the general love, acceptance, and understanding of our families, we have so many wonderful examples of marriage - my paternal grandparents (married I believe for around 40 years before my grandfather's death in 1991), my maternal grandparents (married for 48 years this year), hubby's grandparents (married 51 years this year), my parents (married 26 years this year) and his parents (married 25 years this year). Many a time I have been heartened knowing how many examples we have close to us - I really hope it's contagious, and I know that some studies have shown it often is. Feeling the support of all those couples in this, the year of our wedding, has been wonderful too.
I'm really looking forward to going to home (our old home at least) next month to spend time with everyone in our family. I treasure that time that we get, and I am grateful for all their love toward us in the past and especially as we have begun our marriage.
One of my favorite photos of hubby with his mom, dad, and brother.
And me with my parents!

No comments:
Post a Comment