Monday, November 22, 2010

Thankful

I'm hoping to make this a series/focus for this week, the idea being focusing on different areas of my life I'm thankful for. It won't be an exhaustive list, but I want to take the time out to be mindful of all the blessings in my life. I am feeling inspired by Thanksgiving, but a goal of mine is to remember to be thankful each and every day.

Without further ado, my focus today is going to be on friends - those I have gathered in past parts of my life, and the wonderful social network I have found in the months since I moved here with hubby.

Hubby and I are from the same small town, and we're still in touch with many of our high school friends. A good number of them also graced us with their presence at our wedding, and we're set to see at least a few of them over Christmas break when we head back to our home state. I love that those bonds are still strong, 4+ years after high school graduation.

I was also beyond blessed to find the girls I did in college - some as early as new student orientation (AH, I'm thinking of you!) and others who I met a bit later on but still can't imagine my college experience without them (Kristen!). Words can't even express the love and good memories I've shared with them. Though I wish I was in touch with them all more often, I am glad to be in touch with them all, thanks to technology, and I've got plans in the works to see a few of them in Chicago early next year (I'm pumped for that by the way!). Since anymore words I write about being grateful for these ladies are likely to just sound cornier and cornier, I'll go ahead and share some photos -

 AN, AG, Kristen, KT, and myself 

Making sure not to leave Molly out - she was singing a cappella when we took the above photo!  

This is an oldie but a goodie - with ES and AH, freshman year!

And me with the lovely MS in Zurich - she was studying in Milano, I was in Firenze, and we got to take a trip north one weekend! 

I left college knowing I could never really replicate bonds like the ones I had in college, but hoping to find other military wives (and girlfriends and fiancees) who I could rely on and have fun with as I embarked on this new adventure. It took a few months (and is still continuing) but through a couple different channels I've met some really wonderful ladies here. I feel blessed that as a group, these women are so open to meeting new people, and have so much to share and offer from their experiences. A silver lining to the nature of our spouses' work is also that we often have a chance for total girl time - something that many married people probably have to forgo a bit more often. Hubby and I have also developed relationships on a married couple basis - hubby knows the husband and I know the wife, and we're all friends, and that's always fun too since being married is an adventure all on its own. I know when Kristen and Molly visited in July, they could tell I had a lack of female social bonds in my life here, but that definitely changed. I am grateful for things like having someone to shop and go get pampered with, which is something that HB and I have already done (shopping!) and are planning to do (get haircuts) together. I know that my military relationships will continue to shift and change with each move, and as others move, but between the online network and knowing how to find people and get involved, I have high hopes that I can continue to make the most of all the social opportunities.

I am full of gratitude for the people I have met in each phase of my life. I know that part of that is being open to new relationships, but I am grateful that so many of the individuals in question have been so open to me as well. 

I know a lot of the people I mentioned here read this blog - so I want to thank each of you for being a wonderful positive influence in my life! I feel like there are more, and better words, to describe what all of these relationships mean to me, but at the risk of rambling on and on, I'll end here. I'm hoping I'll continue this week to post about the things I am grateful for (or at least a small representative sampling). 

Hope everyone is enjoying the Thanksgiving preparations this week!

2 comments:

  1. I love you, and am so thankful for you <3 Now I just need to book my flight to Chicago!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this made me very happy and thankful too! :) miss and love you!

    ReplyDelete